Technology and medicine is continuing to evolve very rapidly. And so it’s my responsibility as a healthcare provider to my patients to make sure that I’m up to date and up to speed on the newest technology and the newest health outcomes, the newest data, the newest research, so that I can pass that information onto our patients so that they have the information that they need to make the health choices and decisions that are going be best for their health long term.
Patients Travel From Across the Region to Visit Our Holistic Dentist
Dr. David Porter has devoted thousands of hours to continuing education so he can offer his patients the latest treatments. He is committed to helping guide his patients on a journey to improved health. His holistic approach is why patients travel from all over the region, including Montana, Nebraska, and the Dakotas, to see him. He’s the first, and often only, Wyoming dentist to offer many treatments:
- First and only board-certified naturopathic physician
- Certified by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) in SMART protocol for removing amalgam fillings
- First myofunctional therapist
- First and only to do a residency for the Advanced Lightwire Functional Appliance (ALF)
- First and only to do a residency in Buteyko breathing technique
- First and only provider of orthotropics
- First and only TruDenta® provider
- First and only to offer the Crozat method of orthodontics and to receive special training on it from the American Academy of Gnathologic Orthopedics (AAGO)
- One of only a few dentists certified in ReCODE 2.0 for Dental Professionals, which is a program that has had great success with reversing and preventing the affects of Alzheimer’s
- Superhuman Protocol™ certified
Dr. Porter has studied with world-renowned dentists and physicians around the world. He truly understands that there is no separation of health and dental health. He has appeared on Wellness Hour TV program, a show that features some of the nation’s leading medical doctors, dentists and other licensed health practitioners.
Dr. Porter obtained advanced education from the Academy of Laser Dentistry and trained in implant dentistry at the Misch Institute. He continues to stay on the leading edge of dentistry, taking advanced training courses and lecturing at meetings and workshops nationally to other doctors. Other professional accomplishments include:
- Fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- Misch Implant Institute graduate
- Fellow of the Academy of General Dentistry
- American College of Integrative Medicine and Dentistry graduate
- AAGO graduate
- Holistic residency
- Orthotropic and orthodontic residencies
- Airway mini residency
- Zirconia implant residency
Dr. Porter is currently working toward a diplomat status with the ICOI and a fellowship with the Academy of General Dentistry.
A native of Newcastle, WY, he was a high school athlete, participating in football, baseball, and wrestling. He also played baseball in college, where he met his wife, Afton. After marriage, he worked in mining for three years in Nevada and Wyoming, saving to return to dental school in Lincoln, NE.
Dentistry was a natural career choice for Dr. Porter because he likes working with his hands and interacting with people. He graduated in 2007 from the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Patients appreciate Dr. Porter’s great sense of humor and that he gives the same advice on treatment that he would give to his own family. He enjoys playing an integral role in improving not only his patients’ oral health but their overall health too.
He was thrilled to return to his home state after earning his DDS. He believes in Gillette and considers it a blessing that he is able to be a part of such a wonderful community. He has seen firsthand how people here give their time and energy to many worthy causes. Dr. Porter feels just as strongly about giving back to the community. He has been a part of multiple dental days where he’s given free dental services for people in the community. He also supports other great causes, including local youth programs in everything from intramural sports to junior and high school football, wrestling, and baseball. He looks forward to becoming involved in community activities in Sturgis, SD, the city where he opened a second location.
Dr. Porter has been married to Afton for more than 25 years and is an integral part of the lives of their six beautiful children, attending their sporting events and participating in their various other activities. In their free time, he and his family enjoy being outdoors and traveling to the Black Hills for the many activities the area has to offer. He also spends time away from work learning about dentistry and reading.