Our practice is based on biologic dentistry, which stresses preventing dental problems whenever possible, vs. simply treating them. Prevention saves you money on dental care, keeps your smile looking and feeling great, and improves your overall health. While cavities are a common problem, they don’t have to be. Let us help you stop dental decay!
Call us today for biologic dentistry in Gillette, WY 307-228-7114 or Sturgis, SD 605-206-6200. To help us provide the appropriate care, take our risk assessment for tooth decay.
In the meantime, check out our suggestions for avoiding cavities:
- Brush and Floss – Daily brushing and flossing are truly essential in preventing cavities and other dental problems. Floss daily and brush at least twice a day. Set a timer and brush for at least two minutes to ensure you are getting your teeth clean. Always use an easy touch. Brushing too hard can damage your enamel, which makes you more susceptible to decay.
- See Us Regularly for Cleanings – Even with good brushing and flossing habits, you need to see us every six months for an exam and cleaning. Our team will eliminate bacteria from all the nooks and crannies where it likes to collect – including spots that are tough to clean at home. We will also keep an eye out for problems such as decay under restorations like fillings and crowns. Proactive treatment is the best way to keep such problems from getting worse.
- Drink Plenty of Water – Drinking lots of water is one of the best things you can do for your body – including your mouth. It washes food debris and bacteria away from your teeth. Drink water during meals, whenever possible. If you are having another beverage, rinse your mouth out with water afterward. Skip sugary and acidic drinks. Those substances eat into your enamel, creating an environment that is friendly to decay.
- Make Good Food Choices – Along with the right beverages, choose the right foods. Your best choices include fresh fruits and veggies and leafy greens. They contain water and fiber, both of which help clean your teeth. Plus, they have vitamins and minerals that improve your dental health – and your overall health too.
- If You Smoke, Stop – Smoking is bad for your mouth and the rest of your body. If you smoke, ask us about suggestions on how to stop.
Even if you do all the right things, it’s possible to get a cavity. We use laser technology to find cavities in their earliest stages, so we can prevent them from causing worse damage. We always use mercury-free composite fillings. In fact, Dr. Porter is certified by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) in its SMART protocol for safe removal of metal fillings.
Let us help you stop dental decay! Schedule an exam or other appointment at Synergy Dental Center by calling 307-228-7114 (Gillette, WY) or 605-206-6200 (Sturgis, SD).