At Synergy Dental Center, we use only metal-free fillings. Because of this, you’ll never have to worry about health concerns associated with mercury. Plus your filling will blend beautifully into your smile, with no silver spots showing – or worse, turning black over time. Unlike many dentists, we also safely remove amalgam fillings so they can be replaced with fillings made of biocompatible composite.
Dr. Porter is certified by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) to use its Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique (SMART). Call us today at 307-228-7114 (Gillette) 605-206-6200 (Sturgis) to discuss the possible removal and replacement of metal fillings.
In the meantime, check out these good reasons to remove amalgam fillings:
- Enjoy a More Beautiful Smile – Amalgam fillings start out silver and darken over time. Depending on where your fillings are located in your mouth, this can really detract from your smile. We can match the color of a composite filling to your other teeth so it looks completely natural.
- Never Worry About Mercury – There have been many debates and there are many opinions as to whether the low levels of mercury released by metal fillings are safe. Both the FDA and the ADA say it is safe for most people age 6 and above. Still, you can remove amalgam fillings and eliminate any risk. Plus, some folks have allergic reactions to mercury or to other metals used in amalgam fillings like silver or copper.
- Proactively Prevent Damage – Composite fillings are somewhat flexible. This helps evenly distribute the force of chewing. In contrast, an uneven distribution of force can create tiny cracks in metal fillings over time, which puts you at higher risk for getting cavities underneath a filling. These kinds of cavities may advance to a more serious infection before they are noticed.
- Avoid Problems Associated With Wear and Tear – Composite fillings are bonded to your teeth. In contrast, amalgam fillings are cemented into place. The cement typically wears out more quickly than a filling, which creates tiny gaps between fillings and teeth. Bacteria can get into these gaps, causing decay and/or gum disease.
- Stop Temperature Sensitivity – Metal conducts heat and cold. This can result in sensitivity when you drink coffee or eat ice cream. Since composite fillings don’t conduct temperature, you can eat or drink whatever you want without any discomfort.
Call Synergy Dental Center in Gillette, WY today at 307-228-7114 (Gillette) 605-206-6200 (Sturgis) to explore the option of removing metal fillings. Or schedule online.